Hi my peers!

I am Eleonora and I have been studying in this university for almost 5 LONG years…so I do not need to introduce myself since most of you already know who I am.. :-)
Just to spend a few words about me, as you can read on my post for “e-tivity one” I am quite determined and my great passions are traveling, movies, music and learning new things.
I hope you will like my blog and find it useful for your English; this is my first experience on the blogosphere but I will try to do my best to keep my page updated and to fill it in with interesting posts (and you will have to help me with your comments, eh eh.. :-D..)
Well, I never thought it would be so much fun to develope my own blog... :-) I really had a great time!
It took me quite long to find a nice layout for my page but in the end it was all worth it...now I can say I am satisfied.. ;-)
I am really eager to learn more about the blogosphere and to become an active part of it; it is amazing to see how much material you can find there!

HAVE FUN!!

Eleonora

PS: Please open this page with Mozilla Firefox (sometimes when you use Internet Explorer my posts are not displayed properly...do not ask me why.. :-)....)

venerdì 2 novembre 2007

My impressions of feed aggregartors

Hi Group K!

How are you all? Are you enjoying these few days off?? :-)
In this post I am supposed to express my opinion about feed aggregators...I must say I find this task easier than the others we did before! Maybe you are asking yourselves why…Well, this time we do not need to use our imagination, nor we have to spend hours on the Net searching for blogs…the question we should answer to is quite simple: do we think feed aggregators are useful or not? Do we consider them good tools?

First of all, I must confess I have never heard about RSS feeds before; I did not know what they were and I had no idea of their advantages. As soon as I read the text of “e-tivity 4”, I started feeling a little bit worried since all the process seemed pretty complex to me (unfortunately, I was not in the lab on Wednesday). I said to myself: “How on earth am I gonna make it??” :-) But after reading all the instructions and watching the video, everything became clearer: the single steps were explained in a very detailed way, so I tried and I realized it was not so difficult after all.

I was rather surprised when I saw what these tools were able to do! I find feeds extremely useful…you just go to “Bloglines”, you log in and can subscribe to every blog or website you want; every time these pages are updated, you receive a kind of “notification”, so you do not waste time going to every blog to see if there are new posts. Isn’t that GREAT??!!??
I also liked the possibility of creating folders where you can order all the websites you subscribed to; in this way it is easier to find what you look for. At the moment I have got 4 folders: one for my Group K, one for my ex-Group G, one for other interesting blogs and one for online newspapers.
I really think feed aggregators will surely help me organize the work we do in the course, and I might find them useful in the future as well. So…I am rather happy as I learnt something new! ;-)

Finally, I would like to say it is a pity that some websites do not have feeds. I wanted to subscribe to our faculty’s page and I could not… :-(

Ok, these are my impressions. I look forward to reading yours!
BYE!

7 commenti:

Alesssia L. ha detto...

Hi Eleonora!

I really enjoyed reading your impressions about feed aggregators: they were quite spontaneous and clear! Moreover, I have to admit that I felt exactly as you did when I read the text of e-tivity 4. I couldn’t go to the lab either, so I started sweating and thinking “Oh no, this is bound to be totally obscured to me…I know I’m gonna have quite a few problems with it!”.
On the contrary, the instructions and the tutorial were really clear and I managed to do it without any effort! E-tivity 3 wasn’t difficult either but it was really time-consuming :-)!

Hence, I appreciate the utility of feeds as you do and I think that I will use them also in the future…the only thing is that you can’t subscribe to a website if it doesn’t have feeds (as you wrote in your post it is a pity).

P.S. I didn't know that our university's website doesn't have feeds...anyway, subscribing to it didn't even come into my mind...:-) (I'm joking)

See you soon Eleonora!

Bye bye

Alessia

Caroline ha detto...

Hi Eleonora!

I wasn't in the lab on Wednesday, either. So I thought the same thing as you did: How am I gonna make it? Maybe we should just stop having that fear every single time!
I don't know if you feel the same as me, but I always think that the tasks are difficult and complicated and then, in the end, they're never too complicated.
But maybe, if I stop thinking I can't make it, I really won't make it??? Does that make sense to you?
Nevermind. However, I think, too, that those tools are useful and even if they weren't I'm always happy to learn something new about computers and the Internet. There are so many things to discover. But first of all, I have to learn this 10-finger-writing ;-).

See you next week. Caroline

Crazy Journalist ha detto...

Hi Eleonora,

well, come on, you can tell me now: did you really what to add the university's page to your favourite feeds?! ;)
That's not really an interesting one after all!!
Ok, enough of the kidding around now, let's get back to the serious feedbacking!
I agree with what you say in your post, I had similar reactions somehow; but after all, it seems almost everybody in the group was a bit freaked at first.
What I'd like to discuss a bit more is the issues Nina brought up. She actually went a lot further into the problem, and I liked the points she made.
Maybe it's not just a mere coincidence that all of us have some kind of reticence when it comes to new stuff about the web. Are we already too 'technologically old' alredy to keep up with the speed of updating of the net and everything? Or are we just too lazy to learn new stuff? How much more could we do if we gave ourselves up to the wwworld entirely, and is it worth it?
...Mmmh, too many weird stuff for just one post already... Sorry I bugged you, I'm gonna leave now and deliever some more doubts around somewhere else!!... ;)

See you in class

Nina ha detto...

Hi Eleonora!

it seems as no one from our group went to class last wednesday:) me neither and I had the same problems as everyone else is posting about. Well yeah agree, what more can I say?:)

I was wondering though. When I opened your post through the (new and great) tool we have, it was the only one that opened in this great way of showing the post and also the comments right there underneath it, without any other clicking. How did you mannage?...thanks:)

See you in class tomorrow! nina

Eleonora ha detto...

CAROLINE: yes, that is true...Maybe we shoul stop thinking we won't make it...;-) We should feel a little bit more confident with these technlogies...Come on, we are not that bad after all :-) (even though we are not able to write with ten fingers...):-D

See you soon

Eleonora ha detto...

ENRICO: Well, I just wanted to add our faculty's page because I thought it could have been useful rather than interesting... :-) It is pretty annoying to wake up early in the morning, take the train to come here and then find out there is no lecture... :-)
I am sure we are a little bit "technologiacally lazy", because we are still getting used to these new tools, so everything seems extremely difficult and we feel like we will never make it. I think we should be more confident, as we saw it is not so bad after all...
Anyway, we shoul keep in mind that the Web is just a wonderful tool but we cannot depend on it...What's more, an excessive use of the computer might be dangerous for our social life ;-)

Ok, see you in class!

Eleonora ha detto...

NINA: Hi!
I am glad you liked my blog :-)))
Well, I really do not know how I made it...I just chose this layout and I think the posts are automatically arranged that way. Anyway, if you do not know, you can choose how many posts you want to appear "directly" on your screen. From your blog, go to "Personalizza", then to "Post sul blog" and then change the number you will find on the top of the page.
Hope that will be useful... :-)

BYE