Hi my peers!

I am Eleonora and I have been studying in this university for almost 5 LONG years…so I do not need to introduce myself since most of you already know who I am.. :-)
Just to spend a few words about me, as you can read on my post for “e-tivity one” I am quite determined and my great passions are traveling, movies, music and learning new things.
I hope you will like my blog and find it useful for your English; this is my first experience on the blogosphere but I will try to do my best to keep my page updated and to fill it in with interesting posts (and you will have to help me with your comments, eh eh.. :-D..)
Well, I never thought it would be so much fun to develope my own blog... :-) I really had a great time!
It took me quite long to find a nice layout for my page but in the end it was all worth it...now I can say I am satisfied.. ;-)
I am really eager to learn more about the blogosphere and to become an active part of it; it is amazing to see how much material you can find there!

HAVE FUN!!

Eleonora

PS: Please open this page with Mozilla Firefox (sometimes when you use Internet Explorer my posts are not displayed properly...do not ask me why.. :-)....)

sabato 17 novembre 2007

Podcasts

Hello everybody! How are you all?

Well, this week we have learnt what podcasts are (this was actually quite a new word for me) and I must say “e-tivity 6” was the one I liked the most so far. Last year we did a lot of writing exercises so now I am happy to have the possibility to focus more on my listening skills; that is why I usually try to jump at every chance I get to listen to stuff in English… And podcasts are really helpful in this sense :-)
Anyway, it was not easy to find interesting material; it took me a little bit of time to choose three good links it was worth sharing with you… I hope you will enjoy them ;-)

  • Business English Pod -Job interview
    This podcast is taken from a very well-structured website about business English. There you can find grammar tips, vocabulary exercises and most of all podcasts about different situations you normally have to deal with when you work. So the files are not strictly about business but also about traveling, job interviews, presentations and much more.
    If you click on the link I put here you can listen to a very good example of job interview. I particularly liked it because it is not too simple (so it was pretty a good challenge to try to understand it well!) and also because it contains a lot of words which might be useful for us in the future. We are all going to have a job interview one day or another… And it could be in English… Who knows? ;-) I think it is always worth having an idea of how we should behave when we apply for a job and these podcasts are very helpful in this way.
    Before you click on the link you can also read a brief summary of what the listening is about, so that you can understand the content better.
  • Englishfeed -President Bush and English
    This is another fantastic website I found on del.icio.us. Here there are plenty of funny podcasts you can listen to when you are a little bit down… They will surely cheer you up! The one I want to suggest shows President Bush’s tendency to make up new words when he cannot express himself properly during his speeches… ;-) I can assure you it is simply awesome! Anyway, it was not so easy to understand (at least for me); as we are not native speakers we do not know if these expressions are just idioms or if they actually do not exist in English. Fortunately, those who put these files online were aware of this problem... They wrote a kind of glossary where they explained the meaning of every “bushism” :-) That really helped! Finally, another big advantage of this website is that you can also watch videos.
  • Better at English -IM slang is invading everyday English
    In this website you can find interesting files about how the spoken language has changed through the years. The podcast I chose deals with a very widespread tendency, that is the massive use of abbreviations (taken from the Instant Messaging slang) which American youths make when they speak. The file’s title caught my attention straightaway since we had already talked about that in class with Sarah a couple of weeks ago. The most popular abbreviations are “jk” (just kidding), “lol” (laughing out loud) or “rotfl” (rolling on the floor laughing). I knew that young people often use them when they chat, but I did not know they were so common in speaking as well!

As you have probably already understood I think podcasts are a great way to improve our listening skills. I guess everyone of us would like to do a lot of things during the day, but unfortunately the problem is that often we do not have enough time. But we do not need to spend hours in front of our computer to listen to these files, we can just download them and listen to them while we are on the bus or simply when we have time. Anyway, the biggest advantage is that they are FREE! I really hope that we will also be able to find free material and sources online in the future… That is the main gist of the Net, isn’t it? ;-)

See you soon and sorry for this endless post :-)

BYE!

4 commenti:

Alesssia L. ha detto...

Hi Eleonora!
I perfectly agree with you: E-tivity 6 is, so far, my favourite assignment too! Moreover, you don’t have to apologise for the length of your post (also because you haven’t read mine yet…:-) that is what I call a never-ending post)! Joking apart, I found all your three choices simply awesome!


When I read the description of the podcast devoted to “Bushism” I couldn’t help laughing! It is simply fantastic! I know that G.W. Bush always receives criticism but at least this time it is really “educational” and you can take advantage of it! As you wrote in your post, the “Vocabulary Guide” was fundamental otherwise I’m afraid I wouldn’t have been able to understand why his audience was sometimes laughing at him…:-). I also had a look at the other sections and I liked the fact that the audio files always include a video!

I’ve also had a look at the site devoted to Business English podcasts and I have to say they’re gorgeous! They have been designed for English students so they include an oral “Study Guide” to help you to go through the dialogue. The job interview, for instance, also includes an oral section to better understand the dialogue but also to carefully analyse why certain expressions are used and to find appropriate ways to reply to certain questions.

So thank you Eleonora for your suggestions!

Bye Bye

Alessia

chiara ha detto...

Hi!
As you said...fortunately we do some listening this year...we did so much writing last year,oh god:-)
Compared to that course this one is really nice and useful,too!I learn something new every week and I'm happy that you too didn't know all this things,like podcast for example!

I find podcast very useful and esay to listen whenever an wherever you want, but if you have time,as Enrico says, the best way is watching a dvd in English!!You enjoy yourself and at the same time you improve your listening and learn new words or slangs,isn't it?

I've chosen the same Business website as you,I find it really ineteresting because we don't learn that things at university and now we have the opportunity to do it!Let's work:-)

I also like your third choice about Instant Messaging slangs..they are very used by -teen generations and there are so many...we could use them in our forum with the American students(as soon as they write us!..)

Chiara

Nina ha detto...

Hey Eleonora!

Thank you for the podcasts you found! They are indeed all very interesting. The one with Bush…yeah. I think we need more and more of those to show the ones that admire him so much, that actually there is very little to admire…

I liked the podcasts about the sms language invading to English. I find it very interesting. We have always studied about how language has been changing throughout history, but this is actually happening right in front of us and we are the ones that are causing these changes. In this year’s biennale in Venice, French stand had a very interesting exhibition about one letter. To give you a little intro, if you have not seen it: One lady got this breakup letter and she gave it to (I don’t remember the exact number) about 100 other women to analyze it, translate it or do pretty much anything with it. One of the translations was in fact into the language of sms. Very interesting I thought.

Anyways good job with your choices and see you in class tomorrow! Nina

Crazy Journalist ha detto...

Hi Eleonora

Needless to say, the link I liked best was the one to that blog with the 'Bushism' video in it ahahahah that was so much fun, and somehow sadly educational too! ;)

I must admit this was not really my favourite e-tivity so far. I mean, it was o.k. but maybe not so exciting to me because podcast were not much of novelty. At least not as much as social bookmarking last week!

The one about sms language was a nice link too. Fortunately I don't use sms abbreviations that much (I don't even know many for that matter...). I think it's a lot about 'cultural' enviroment, that sort of things... Like 'teen-slang' you know... My little sister knows and uses them regularly, and they're just normal to her. Deary deary me... Kids these days, uh?...!

See ya