Hi my peers!

I am Eleonora and I have been studying in this university for almost 5 LONG years…so I do not need to introduce myself since most of you already know who I am.. :-)
Just to spend a few words about me, as you can read on my post for “e-tivity one” I am quite determined and my great passions are traveling, movies, music and learning new things.
I hope you will like my blog and find it useful for your English; this is my first experience on the blogosphere but I will try to do my best to keep my page updated and to fill it in with interesting posts (and you will have to help me with your comments, eh eh.. :-D..)
Well, I never thought it would be so much fun to develope my own blog... :-) I really had a great time!
It took me quite long to find a nice layout for my page but in the end it was all worth it...now I can say I am satisfied.. ;-)
I am really eager to learn more about the blogosphere and to become an active part of it; it is amazing to see how much material you can find there!

HAVE FUN!!

Eleonora

PS: Please open this page with Mozilla Firefox (sometimes when you use Internet Explorer my posts are not displayed properly...do not ask me why.. :-)....)

sabato 12 aprile 2008

Immigration

As soon as I began to think what I could write on this post, I realized I did not know much about the rules which regulate immigration in Italy. Of course, I remembered that the law called “Turco-Napolitano” had been substituted by “Bossi-Fini”, which had partially been changed by Prodi’s government. But I just had a faint idea of how they dealt with this issue, so I looked for more information on the Web and I found the following links (in Italian):

The whole system seems quite complicated; what is clear is that every immigrant must have a job before coming to Italy, otherwise he/she cannot get the permission to stay here. The “Bossi-Fini” law provoked a lot of discussion since it was much more restrictive than the previous one (“Turco-Napolitano”). Moreover, I found out that it was also criticized by Amnesty International because it did not grant political asylum as it should have done according to international laws. Amato and Ferrero, who were part of Prodi's government, tried to cut the red tape for high-qualified foreigners and postponed the expiry date of work visas.

I think Italy does need immigrants. This is not just my opinion, it is simply a well- known fact. Take a look at this:

Italy’s population grows thanks to foreign families. In 2004 immigrants paid taxes for 1.87 billion €; in 2005 they contributed to our GDP for 6.1%.
Just yesterday evening I heard on TV that Italian small companies cannot find plumbers, electricians, bricklayers, hairdressers, tailors and carpenters. In these fields there are a lot of jobs available, but it seems that Italians prefer studying or working in offices rather than “using their hands”. That is why artisans' associations are thinking to ask for workers coming from abroad; the same has already happened with nurses and caregivers.
I also think that immigrants who live, work and pay taxes here should have the right to vote. I have got one friend who was born in Romania but has been living here since he was 13. He attended the high school here, he has been working for an Italian company and paying taxes to the Italian state for almost 10 years now. Despite this, he cannot decide who he wants to be governed by because he does not have the Italian citizenship. I do not know how it works in other European countries, but honestly I find the situation here quite absurd.

The real problem is illegal immigration. I read Enrico’s post and I agree with him when he says that an illegal immigrant cannot do anything legal… So it is quite obvious that when you are desperate, you just end up robbing or trafficking in drugs if you want to survive.
I think the government should be more strict with people who break the law, no matter if foreigners or Italians. Gypsies who steal in houses or rape women MUST be punished as well as Italians who drive when they are drunk and crash against other cars. You make a mistake, you pay for it.
It sounds quite simple, so why does it seem something impossible here?
Good question…

Ok, I will stop now :-)
See you on Monday!

Nessun commento: